Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Its my tamil new year...

I was mad. Really mad. When I heard the government of my state of Tamil Nad, India had decreed(yes, decreed) that the Tamil new year will no more be celebrated in the month of Chithirai (April) instead it will from now onwards be celebrated in the month of Thai (January), I was irritated.

Who the hell is the DMK government to decide when the new year should begin? Who do these politicians think they are? For a minute I was magically transported back in time when emperors and kings ruled by decree and cared less for public opinion. The government and the Chief Minister perhaps mistakenly believe that they reign over the Kingdom of Tamil Nadu.

Decades ago, an egoistic Congress party equated India to Indira and Indira to India. We all know what happened. Be you ever so high the law of the land and the people are always high above you.

A party that preaches godlessness and shuns beliefs and faiths, should keep away from playing with centuries old traditions and cultures. I have no problem with the party of non-believers. Ours is a democratic country and people are entitled to their own ways of life. A political entity, just because it occupies the seat of power for five years, does not give it the right to meddle. What next? Will we be celebrating the CM's birthday as Tamil Day?

The leader of the party, Kalaignar Karunanidhi, is a wise man. I have always respected him as one of our finest leaders. However today I disagree with him. This is my Tamil new year's day and no one can change it.

photo courtesy: wikimedia

1 comment:

Karthik said...

Haha...You are so scared of the ruling class in tamil nadu that you had to praise the CM as a wise man before saying that you are disagreeing with him.

This wise man is also gave out free television....and called Prabhakaran as a friend ...